Finding ̶D̶o̶r̶y̶ Allusion

Have you heard about Allusion? 

Allusion is a brief and indirect reference to a person, place, thing or idea of historical, cultural, literaty or political significance. Allusion used in several writing, such as poem, poetry, prose, and even a song. 

Honestly, allusion is a new things for me while studying English. So, my teacher asked me to find an allusion in a song. I searched it mostly in Taylor Swift's songs (because she's one of my favorite tho). And here's one of a few allusion that I could find :

1.  Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton in Ready For It.

Me, I was a robber first time that he saw me
Stealing hearts and running off and never saying sorry
But if I'm a thief, then he can join the heist
And we'll move to an island-and
And he can be my jailer, Burton to this Taylor
Every lover known in comparison is a failure
I forget their names now, I'm so very tame now
Never be the same now, now

At first, I really have no idea who is Burton and Taylor. Because of that, I made a little bit research about it.

In this song, Burton to this Taylor refers to Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton. Their love story was one of the most popular love story that ever exist, they also known as a legendary acting duo. Their story even made as a movie on 2013. 
In Ready For It, the writer of the song tried to compare their relationship with one of the most iconic couple, Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton thru this allusion. 

I found that using allusion in a song is really enticing. I'm a person who will read the lyrics while listening to the song, and my impression to a song mostly effected by the lyrics. So that, I'm extreamly love and interested with song that contain the allusion.And all of Taylor Swift's songs have a beautiful and attention-grabbing lyrics. And, maybe that can be one of my reasons why I love her songs !!! 
Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton's Relationship - Photos of ...

Komentar

Postingan Populer